Sunday, October 30, 2011

Epilepsy

I'm starting a blog about epilepsy.

I never once imagined that those words would be true or necessary or that I would ever understand anything about epilepsy.

But I do.

I understand that over 45,000 children are diagnosed with epilepsy each year. 
I understand that for over 70% of people with epilepsy a cause will never be determined.
I understand that about 40% of people with epilepsy will have irretractable epilepsy meaning that the seizures are resistant to drugs.

My son, Ben has been diagnosed with Doose syndrome this summer. 
His seizures are generalized and there is no known cause. 
At this point, he has failed numerous drugs and is considered to be drug resistant.

I've started this blog for a few reasons:
~  I need a place to share updates about his health with our family and friends.
~  There is little information about Doose Syndrome as it is very rare.  I'm hoping to connect with other families.
~  My prayer is that God would use this as a place to offer courage, strength, and hope to others who are walking through a crisis - no matter what kind.

Thank you for joining me here.  Of course, we appreciate your prayers for Ben and the thousands of other families who are dealing with epilepsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment