Friday, December 9, 2011

I think it's starting to hit me...

Day 3.  I think it's starting to hit me that this is actually working.  I keep hearing that there isn't a 'honeymoon' phase on the diet like there is on the medications, but my heart is still cautious to believe.  But we have been noticing a change and others have too!  Ben is coming back.  He is being healed.  We are privileged to get to see the hand of God moving in his little life.

This picture captures some of the differences:
On December 1, we started one of Christmas traditions - to unwrap one of our Christmas books each night before bed as a countdown to the special day.  Notice that his head is tilted back - he was having a hard time holding it at a regular angle.  His eyes are droopy.  His smile is very forced.  His left hand was curled up like this often.

But look at him tonight!  I have tears in my eyes because my heart is starting to actually believe that it is working!  He wants to play - not lay around and watch TV.  He has energy.  His sense of humor is returning - at times to our chagrin.  But at this point, we welcome it.  :)

We took him to the pediatrician today and he has bronchitis.  After a call to the dietitian and some mathematical calculations regarding the number of carbs in the medicine, he can take his antibiotic (the adult version) without having to adjust his diet.  The good news is that he hasn't run a fever so hopefully we can continue to get through this little patch of illness seizure free.

I just listened to Ben play this song on his drums - wow!  "If God is for us - who can be against us?"

4 comments:

  1. That is one handsome little man and I am so thankful to see a beautiful smile on his face! Laurie, this is so exciting and I will continue to pray and thank God for Ben's healing!

    Lynn King

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST NEWS EVER! :) Praying for this to continue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurie!
    I haven't visited your blog in awhile and was shocked to see your news about Ben. I am so sorry! I can't imagine what you have been going through these past few months! Praising God with you that this medication seems to be working. Hoping that you will get your own little Christmas miracle! Thinking of you and wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete