Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pancakes...keto style

Saturday mornings have become cooking time for me.  Today I made 4 days worth of pancakes and 4 pizzas.  It took about 2 hours - I'm getting so much faster! 

Here's a look at the pancakes that he LOVES...

As the Pioneer Woman would say, here are the cast of characters:

7 grams of canola oil
28 grams of egg mixed well (less than 1 large egg)
30 grams of macadamia nuts ground into butter
4-5 drops of Bickford maple flavoring

Add 7 grams of softened European butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon

Mix ingredients together.

Pour onto pan - I've been using Christmas cookie cutters to make it a little bit more interesting.


They are so fluffy and thick when they are in the pan, but as soon as they cool - they completely flatten out.  I'm not really sure why.  Freezing them saves so much time in the morning.  I only have to weigh out the butter and cinnamon and add a little fruit. 

He loves this meal.  I think because it's such a big amount of food.  He doesn't have to eat extra oil, butter, or cream either.  It feels a bit more normal than some of the other meals he has eaten like the hotdog meal he had the other night.  Here's a look at that one:

We tried this one in the hospital, but I mixed the butter in with the peanut butter and he hated it.  This time I added the butter in with the hotdog and he liked it a little better.  But there was quite a lot of butter left over in the bowl that he had to drink. 

But he is drinking the cream now!  We still have to add a little diet, caffeine free soda to it, but he drinks it without complaint.  This is an answer to prayer for sure! 

Tonight he asked for a hamburger.  I was shocked at first because he's never had a hamburger before - even before the diet.  It just wasn't something that we ate frequently.  But I played around on the keto calculator and decided to give it a try. 

He had a patty about the size of a chicken nugget (maybe a little bit bigger) with a lot of oil mixed in.  He had 1 1/2 grapes along with it.  The majority of the calories for this meal came from the cream.  He had to drink 79 grams of cream - that's double what he's used to.  But again - he did it without complaint.  We are so thankful that he's adjusting and we know it is because of God's grace.

My goal for this Christmas break is to find more meals that are complete - like the pancakes and the pizza.  Things that don't require drinking oil and butter.  I also need to find some recipes that are portable.  We'd love to be able to spend the day away from home, but we can't go very far because we have to be back by the next meal.  We can't eat out anymore.  He tolerates the pepperoni with oil, peanuts, and cream meal.  With some planning that is probably the most portable option so far. 

I still can't get over how far we've all come in the past month.  Ben has made HUGE physical gains, but we have all learned so much about how to prepare his meals.  I still have a meltdown here and there with it all, but when I think back to the first night at home - wow!  We've come along way!

And while I've been cooking every Saturday morning, Leeon has been taking Ben to Lowes to build a train!  Thank you Lowes for something fun and free!  He built one car each Saturday and he's so proud of his work!


2 comments:

  1. Pray strength and grace for you mom...it is taking a lot I am sure...love the report...exciting...thank you Lord for an answer...love his little trains...how exciting for him...blessins...Margaret - KVAG-Maine

    ReplyDelete