Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tortillas!!!! {keto style}

I have discovered a new blog that has been so inspiring!!!  I can't wait for summer so that I can try some new recipes for Ben.  The same woman who wrote the book, The Keto Cookbook, has started sharing more recipes on a blog.  She is working with another woman whose blog I had discovered a few weeks ago as well. 

They have so many ideas - it's almost overwhelming at times.  Especially since the recipes the hospital gave us were mostly based on consuming a few grams of protein or carbs and just getting the fat in through butter, oil, and cream.  But I'm learning. 

It's also hard on Ben at times.  I can't really think of a preschooler who isn't a bit shy of trying new foods.  But when I try to get him to eat something new, there are lots and lots of tears.  Most times, he enjoys what I've made - if I can get him to take that initial bite.

Ok...all of that to say...these wonderful ladies have given a huge gift back to my son - tortillas!  He literally jumped up and down in the aisle of the grocery store kissing and hugging the bag of tortillas when I told him that they were for him.  Now these are not his Nana's delicious tortillas, but he doesn't even seem to care.

I use the Mission, whole wheat, carb balance tortillas.  Each tortilla weighs about 28 grams.  I have to use that same amount of olive oil and soak the tortilla strips in the oil.  Then I sprinkle salt and bake for a few minutes.  What comes out are crispy little "tortilla chips".  I combined this with a tiny bit of 'taco meat' and a few grams of cream and it almost looks like something he would have eaten before keto.  :)  That is wonderful.

Since I started making these, we have learned that he can actually have one whole tortillas and a tiny bit of another.  I increased the oil and then as a side item he can have sunflower seeds, cheese, fruit, or peanuts to lower the ratio {and no cream!}. 

He loves these things. 

Yeah for new meals! 
Yeah for perseverance! 
Yeah for other moms being willing to share what has worked for their keto kid.  :)

1 comment:

  1. THAT IS WONDERFUL!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR BACK FROM OUR DIEATION ON THE tortillas!!! I KNOW MY DAUGHTER WILL LOVE THEM ALSO. :) I LOVE THE KETOCOOK.COM ... WHAT A WONDERFUL WOMEN, MOM FRIEND TO POST ALL THE FUN STUFF TO MAKE. BIG HUGS FROM ONE KETO MOM TO ANOTHER
    JENNIFER

    ReplyDelete