Friday, June 8, 2012

Candy {keto style}

Rebekka, another Doose mom, suggested we try to make candy as a way to get the fat into Ben's meals without having to drink so much cream.  I loved this idea and couldn't wait to try it out.

I melted coconut oil and poured it into candy molds.  I added a few drops of liquid sweetner to half of them and added natural carmel flavoring to the other half.  Then popped them in the freezer for a few minutes.

Here's what they looked like:


You can tell that the ones on the left have the carmel flavor.  I purchased the water soluble and it just wouldn't mix in with the coconut oil.  Bickford flavors does have oil soluble so I may need to order some of it to see if it would mix in better.

Ben wasn't very impressed.  It didn't really taste like much of anything - just coconut really and the texture is slimy.

I'm hoping that he will warm up to it.  I wonder if I presented the large cup of cream or 5 of these pieces of 'candy' if he'd be more inclined to give the candy a try.  I'll try again...I think I've heard that the average kid has to be exposed to a new food 10-15 times before they will even try it!  If that's the case, then maybe I need to pop one on his plate for every meal and if he eats it, then I can recalculate the carb/protein portion of his meal. 

2 comments:

  1. Maybe with a little time, he'll think they're ok. Praying for continued strength and wisdom. It's a great milestone Benny reached this week and we thank the Lord for him and miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you tried it!!! What I do is make it in a large batch. I add McCormicks extract, stevia, and food coloring. Then I measure them out into 5gram candies. Ethan really liked it at first because he could choose the flavor and color....but with the new meds. he is not to impressed with any food at the moment. :( It is a daily challenge...this Keto thing. We are praying for you guys! Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete