Tuesday, June 12, 2012

corn dogs {keto style}

I saw this recipe and couldn't wait to try it!  I knew I would have to change it because the ratio was much too low for Ben.  But I thought it might be worth a try.

Here are the ingredients:


Whip 17 g of cream and 13 g of egg together well.  Add:
 .6 g of baking powder
.7 g of truvia
11 g of almond flour
.2 g of salt

Chop 20 g of a hotdog into tiny pieces. 

Layer the batter and hotdog pieces into the muffin tin.  (I think this recipe was designed to use a corn dog machine, but I just used a muffin pan instead.)



It was a HUGE hit!  Ben loved it!  He asked for more for dinner, but I told him he'd have to wait until tomorrow so that we don't overdo it. 

This meal isn't a complete 3.5:1 ratio, so I added 8 g of macadamia nuts, 20 g of cream, and 5 g of coconut oil. 

I was thrilled because tonight I melted the coconut oil and just used a syringe to have him take it.  I've seen others do that, but I've never tried it before.  Surprisingly, he did just fine!  I tried it with another meal tonight and it was kinda funny to see him get mentally prepared to take it.  He had to take a sip of his drink, stretch his arms, wiggle around, and then he was ready to take the syringe followed by a really big drink to wash it down.  :)  But he did it without complaint.

I've learned that 5 grams of coconut oil is equal to about 20 grams of heavy whipping cream.  It's definately a 'pick your poison' type of situation, but the coconut oil is so much faster (and less in calories).

It's amazing how every day I learn something more about this diet.  It's a constant pursuit to find something that he will like.  I kept dreaming last night that Ben was starving.  He was crying and crying for food, but I couldn't feed him.  It was awful.  But it makes finding a recipe like corn dogs an even better victory.  Ben loved it and I felt so good!

I'm thanking God for His guidance and wisdom and for others who are willing to share their ideas.  I'm also thanking God for my fearless little guy who keeps trying.  I tell him all the time that he is good at doing really hard things.  He amazes me every day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurie. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm glad you liked the post!

    Jade had a hard time with cream, too, so I made as many recipes as I could without it, but it wasn't until we had to eliminate dairy that I tried to find an actual substitute.

    We've since found two that work well. One is canned coconut milk with canola blended into it using a milk frother. And the other is Almond Breeze with canola blended in. Jade prefers the Almond Breeze and it's nice to have a real liquid to drink compared to the thickness of cream and coconut oil. Maybe one of those would appeal to Ben? You can even add a drop or two of Bickford's flavour to either of them and a bit of sweetener, if he doesn't like it plain.

    ReplyDelete