Friday, June 1, 2012

my focus for this month...

It's June! 

In just a few days we will celebrate 5 months of seizure freedom!!!!!

I heard from his neurologist today and his white blood cell count is actually back up into the normal range!  That's the highest it has been since January.  His depakote level is also high which means his body is absorbing a good deal of this medicine despite the interactions with the diet. 

We will go see the neurologist and the dietitian in a few weeks.  This upcoming appointment brings me to my focus for this month...wisdom and direction.

We need wisdom to know what to do in regards to medication weans.  I hate that he has to take so many meds.  There are unwanted side effects for sure.  But we are willing to tolerate it because freedom from seizures is amazing.  The goal of the diet is to be able to wean all meds if possible. 

I know the doctor will talk to us about options.  I love that he includes us in the decision making process, but at the same time I don't know which medicine is working.  I don't know which one to pick to wean first.  I don't even know if it's time to start weaning.  We need wisdom.

I'm thankful that although we don't have the answers, there is One who does.  We will lean on Him and believe that as we seek direction, He will help us know what to do.  Or what not to do...


We also need help with meal ideas.  He's been content with eating pancakes for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and tortilla chips for dinner.  But last night he refused the tortilla chips.  I was able to give him about 1/2 of a tortilla with butter, about two spoonfuls of 'taco meat' with oil, and a very large amount of the heavy whipping cream.  The meals with large amounts of cream are challenging.  I need insight and creativity and wisdom...

He has promised to show us great and mighty things as we call on Him. 



3 comments:

  1. Praying for wisdom for you, Leeon, and Ben's doctor. So thankful...everyday...for what HE has already done for you all! I keep remembering that "He who began a good work is faithful to complete it." What a promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So grateful for the good news! I know the Lord has His hand upon Ben, you all, and his doctors. I will continue to pray for wisdom and direction...or, as I usually pray...Lord, hit me over the head with it...send me a brick! He always. Comes through. He will continue this good work.

    James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 5 months! That is wonderful news. SO excited for you!

    We have have been trying to cut down on the cream as well. One thing that seems to be working is adding in more coconut oil for the fat. I have been adding a few drops of extract (peppermint, banana) and stevia to the coconut oil. Then I weigh it out into 5 gram portions, pour it into candy molds and freeze it. We then pop them out at meal time and have "Candy."

    ReplyDelete