Thursday, July 19, 2012

taking keto on the road

We went on an overnight trip with some friends and had a wonderful time.  It took me a little bit of time to get the meals measured out, but with the new pizza and the peanut butter sandwich, I knew he would enjoy the food.
During breakfast, his friend offered him a bite of a donut.  I wasn't there, but his response was, "no, not until God heals me."  This is a big deal since donuts are one of his favorites!  He encouraged his friend to eat the donut and then offered to throw the donut bag away while smelling the aroma.  :)

After spending the morning at a children's museum, we all decided it was time for lunch.  I had the peanut butter sandwich in my purse because I was afraid that the butter/peanut butter would melt in the car.

We decided to go to a favorite spot, Chipolte.  Ben was very interested in what we were eating, but he was so hungry he wanted to eat his own food just as badly.

It was our first time to eat out as a family since November 14th, when we ate Chick-fil-A in the hospital lobby before the diet initiation.  And it was a success!

I still have a lot of guilt when I eat food in front of him, but I have to remember that this diet is his medicine.  I think he enjoyed the normalcy of eating out as a family with friends again too.  I'm not sure he would have been ready for this even a few months ago, but I'm glad that we are all becoming a bit more comfortable with the ins and outs of making the diet work.

2 comments:

  1. I loved getting to enjoy a meal all together ( even if it was at separate tables)! I was almost in tears when we left...thinking about how far he's come! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful for the good work that is being done in spite of the high price you guys are paying. Looking forward to that healing for Benny too!
    Amy Fulfer

    ReplyDelete