Saturday, August 25, 2012

taking the keto diet to school...

{This post it mostly for other keto/doose parents.}

Ben is about to start kindergarten!  I am so blessed to actually be working in the same building where he will attend school.  The reassurance this gives me is wonderful.  Not only will I be right across the hall from him, but I have the privilege of knowing every staff member who will be part of his daily routine. 

It has been an interesting journey sitting on the "other side of the table".  Normally when discussing students and their needs, I'm on the teacher side.  But I've learned a lot while sitting on the parent side. 

I want to encourage other parents that the school personnel truly does have your child's best interest at heart.  We want to do everything we can to help your child succeed.  So, if you aren't feeling that way about your childs' school, please tell them.  They can't fix it if they don't know what is wrong. 

We officially entered the school system in the spring as Ben started to receive speech services then.  Because of his medical diagnosis, Ben has been given a '504 label'.  This simply means that we can give him more accommodations to make him successful.  For instance, he will eat his meals in the nurses' office (and we have the BEST nurse ever!)  It really just puts some safeguards in place.  All the teachers that he will be in contact with will be made aware of his accommodations.  They can be readjusted as needed.  They are individualized to his need.  Don't be overwhelmed by a label...it just helps keep everyone on the same page and ensures the best for your child.

I wanted to make his transition to the classroom a smooth one.  So one of the things I made is a book explaining why Ben will eat different foods.  I've looked everywhere for a simple book that explains the diet...but I haven't found anything that I love.  So I made my own.

It's a simple picture book that tells about the things he loves as well as why he has to eat different foods.  I am really happy with how it came out and I'm hoping it will help Ben be able to resist the numerous temptations that are coming his way.  The accountability of other students should help his resolve. 

I've met with our nurse again the other day and brought in all of his daytime meds.  I was also able to bring in a weeks worth of frozen meals so I don't have to worry about it getting to the freezer every morning. 

Dawn at Ketocook wrote a great post detailing how to take the keto diet to school.  Her information is wonderful!  We are just starting this process, I still have lots to learn.   Please share any tips you have in the comment section. 

I know this transition is going to be a great one!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a wonderful communicator Laurie!

    Having been special ed. teacher myself for 15 years I don't think I have ever encountered another parent who has so effectively shared their child's needs both with staff and students.

    I can definitely see how God is using you to help countless others through lessons from your own experiences and struggles. This is an excellent post! It should be shared with MANY!!
    Especially the picture book idea. It is the perfect way to bridge understanding for any student needing additional assistance of any kind.
    I'm so proud of you!
    B

    ReplyDelete