Wednesday, September 26, 2012

the charlie foundation symposium

The Charlie Foundation is a wonderful organization that has helped shed light onto the benefits of the ketogenic diet.  They recently held a symposium in Chicago and although I would have LOVED to attend - it was simply impossible. 

Meryl Streep who played the influential role in the movie, First Do No Harm was honored at this years event. 

I've never watched this movie.  People talked to me about watching it when Ben was so bad off, but I could never bring myself to do it.  I was living the nightmare and the thought of watching it on TV was just too much for me to think about. 

I found this tonight- a tribute to Meryl Streep from this past weekend's event and it is powerful!  Listening to these moms and dads talk about their experience and watching the clips from the movie - wow.

It's hard to believe that we may have actually moved to the other side of such a dark place.  Ben is doing so good!  Watching the seizures on this clip make my heart literally stop.  I hope I never see another seizure for the rest of my life. 



I wish I could have gone...just hearing from other moms - I can't even explain what I'm feeling. 

So, thank you Meryl...thank you Abrahams family...thank you to the Charlie Foundation...thank you to all of the other moms and dads who continue to offer guidance and support to one another...

we are all beating epilepsy
one bite at a time.

4 comments:

  1. What a great tribute. I am so thankful, everyday, for Ben's miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fellow MAE and Keto Momma, I just found your blog we sound like we are very much on the same path. We were able to attend and every time I saw Dr. John Freeman or Jim oh and Millie Cooper too...I just wanted to cry and thank them for all their work and allowing us to be obedient in God's calling for our son. Actually I did cry while thanking Jim! We will be praying for you guys. We have been on the diet for 6 months and relatively sz free. Breakthroughs every now and then....while sleeping. I hope those stop soon. We were actually sz free for a long time until they upped his calories and we are having trouble getting back to where we need to be:(
    God's Blessings to you
    www.ourfamilyjourneywithchrist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Eli is beautiful! We will be praying for seizure freedom.

      Delete
  3. I am still amazed at your ability it juggle all of this. Being a wife and mommy is hard enough. Then you throw in all that you are dealing with health wise with Ben... AND you are teaching. You are amazing. The picture of your staff in their "Team Ben" t-shirts almost made me teary. Love that you have so much support behind you! I thought of you the other day when I was looking at my friend, Beki's new jewelry designs. She has a new bracelet that is stamped with "Hope shines brighter than the sun." Apparently I associate the word hope with you. :)

    http://therustedchain.bigcartel.com/

    ReplyDelete