Monday, January 28, 2013

the little things...

Ben ate in the school cafeteria for the first time today! 

He has wanted to take his lunch and eat in the cafeteria "like the big kids" (meaning the same aged kids as in his class).

He hasn't eaten the pizza at school in a long time (at home either).  I figured out a way to let him have turkey, cheese, peanuts, macadamia nuts, and oil for lunch.  Then the macadamia nuts continuously became more of a problem, so I altered it again replacing the nuts with oil.  The oil accounts for so many of the calories, that he doesn't get very much food with this meal, but it is extremely portable and its working for us right now.

But these changes have made it feasible for him to enjoy lunch with his peers.  We started him off sitting with one classmate at a table close to his entire class.  This way he can ease into the sea of lunchables and juice boxes.  I'm not really concerned about him eating the food of others - he is so good about that.  But he gets obsessive about what everyone else is eating.  He wants to help and direct how you eat your food.  He did really well today though!

It was so good to see him today enjoying the sights and sounds of the kindergarten lunch room.  {But he sure will miss the love and care from our school nurse - she is amazing!}  This is a seemingly small thing, but a big step in the right direction.  

1 comment:

  1. I tried to post a comment on Monday when I read this, but my silly phone wouldn't let me. I love this. I am so happy that Ben will realize that he is one of the "big kids"! What a great day! I keep thinking that this is really just the beginning of all the "little things" that he has to come in his future! Love yall!

    ReplyDelete