Wednesday, February 6, 2013

my focus for this month {refuge}

I drove to Ft. Worth today so Ben can have a neuropsych evaluation done.  It was so foggy that it was really hard to navigate (especially since I'm already directionally challenged to start with.) 

I couldn't see much ahead of me at all.  I had to rely on road signs and focus on what was in front of me more than trying to see through the fog at the unknown ahead.  All of my familiar landmarks were hidden.  When we pulled into Ft. Worth, the tall buildings had even disappeared in the fog.  If I didn't know they were there, I wouldn't have believed it. 

I couldn't help but notice the comparison of my drive this morning with where we continue to be in this journey...we can't see very far ahead.  We don't recognize familiar landmarks around us - we have to rely on directions and guidance.  We have to stay focused on what is right in front of us instead of what is up ahead.

13 months ago, we were only focused on getting the seizures to stop - and they did! and I will never again look at the calendar on the 6th and 7th of each month without remembering the significance of what took place.

But now our focus has shifted to helping him become all that he can.  We recognize that he has come so far in the last 13 months.  We are thrilled with the progress he's made.  But we have to also admit that there are some deficits in his academic development.  Thankfully, there are not gigantic delays, but there is just something not quite right.  The mommy/daddy gut feeling is that we need to be sure that we've turned over every stone so that we don't look back on these early days with regret.  Taking the time to make sure the little step behind doesn't become more.

It's hard to be a parent. 

That's why this month, I'm going to focus on {refuge}. 

God is a strong tower,
a shelter,
an everlasting King who can see miles and miles ahead of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment