Tuesday, March 26, 2013

what a day!

I've been meaning to update the blog for a while now...

I meant to blog that today is Purple Day!  A day to show support for those battling with epilepsy and to raise awareness for the need for more research.


I meant to blog that we found two more meals that he loves!  Using the low carb tortillas, he has loved eating a cheese quesadilla and even a cheese pizza!  We have been in love with this new lower ratio (2.5:1)!  I've never seen him eat so much food!

 
 


But I have even better news to share!!

Last night, I tested his ketones.  (I haven't tested his urine ketones for about two weeks.)  There was no trace of ketones at all.  The stick didn't change at all.  We retested a few more times, used strips from different containers to double check.  And it was true - not a hint of ketones.

My heart instantly knew that this was good news...but I cautiously approached the situation with calmness.  I researched, talked with others, and eventually emailed our dietitian. 

So today, it has been confirmed....the diet is over.

The diet is over! 

We had no idea that it would be this soon, but Ben never follows things on schedule as it would seem.  :) 

This afternoon, he had a teeny, tiny taste of things not on his list.  He was absolutely giddy with excitement.


At dinner, he had tears in his eyes as he ate his fill of beans - without oil! 

None of us can stop smiling! 
It's been a wonderful day...

I keep thinking about this scripture...

So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There’s far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever. 2 Cor. 4:16-18

Not a day has gone by without His grace...
grace for the moments that felt too hard...
and yet here we are now and it feels like a lavish celebration already! 

We are so thankful for that grace, for no seizures, for no more diet, for family and friends that have been our biggest cheerleaders, and that one day {soon} we will be completely med free as well!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love seeing his smile! He has the greatest smile ever! I am touched by your strength and the amazing Ben and feel blessed to know you both! Way to go Ben!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celebrate!! Celebrate!!! that is the only word that comes...Hallelujah What a Savior....the Lord never disappoints...it may take awhile BUT God who is on the throne still works miracles.
    I will share this wonderful news with my sister who has followed Ben's progress...she is the one who told me about a gal I went to school with that told me about the woman with the child that had to eat this way that lived I think in Vt or NH and that was connected to you about the diet...It is amazing how God works on all ends.Her child came out of it also....WOW just amazing ....I am rejoicing at the goodness of the Lord...Eat up Ben and make up for lost time....but as I write this is there any lost time in God. No He causes it all to work together for Good and things that come our way are for our benefit...Blessings as you rejoice in this miracle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING! I am so excited for you all! I was just wondering how the diet ween was going before I opened my computer and saw your post! I am rejoicing with you at this fantastic development!

    Our little guy seems to respond very similarly Ben. Your blog always gives us encouragement and hope. More than ever today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Laurie and Ben! I am so very thrilled for you!!

    ReplyDelete