Wednesday, April 3, 2013

easing in

The diet is over!

I still can't believe it most days. 

It so strange, but I find myself still reaching for the scale as I gather the ingredients for a meal.  I'm so glad it's not on the counter anymore.  :)  :)  :) 

The first few days were filled with emotion.  We were thrilled, excited, relieved, uncertain, overjoyed and really just ready to move on with our lives.  But the first few dinners were not without challenges.  It was as if we couldn't feed him enough.  He wanted to continue eating long after I knew he was full.  I was afraid he would eat until he made himself sick.

When I went to throw away a tiny bit of leftovers, he ran in front of the trash can to block it and couldn't stop yelling, "no!".  He kept saying that he was never going to get it again and he wanted it.  I sent him to his room for a little while to calm down, but he was just literally bawling.  I went in to settle him down and I've never seen so much emotion at one time.  He was crying, yelling, tense, angry, and sad. 

We talked for a long time about how the diet is over.  He won't have to be hungry anymore and he will always have enough to eat.  We talked about what being full feels like because I honestly think it's been so long since he's felt full that his body is confused.  He would tell me that his tummy hurt after eating and in the same breathe tell me that he was hungry. 

The meltdowns have slowed.  He's still trying to make up for lost time by eating everything in sight.  He remembers all the junk food he's given up and wants to eat it all right now, so we are trying to focus on the greatness of getting to eat to be filled and without any oil! 

His teacher reported that she's never seen him so happy - and we see it too!  It feels like a burden has been lifted.  He is so much fun to take to the store because the world is new and open to him!  He brought bananas to school the first day the diet was over and he was just beaming while he walked through the school.  We made homemade pizza the other night and he said, "I feel like I'm about to cry!" before taking his first bite.  He giggles with anticipation of new foods.

I think we are finding our new normal and we love it!  We are very thankful for the diet and yet so thankful that it's over.  15 months without a seizure is wonderfully encouraging (downright amazing actually!) and we know that we are beating this thing!

This month, we are focusing on God's promise to finish the good work that He started.  Every time we remove a part of his therapy, it confirms this good work. 

2 comments:

  1. We've been on the diet so long (four years!) that I really wonder what it's going to be like when we've weaned off in a year.

    Kids are not supposed to feel hungry on the diet; ketosis is supposed to take care of that. And indeed, for much of the first year, we fought with Jade just to finish her meals. But now it's been over a year that she constantly seems hungry, and I wonder if she'll react similarly to Ben about wanting to eat and eat and eat once the restrictions are lifted. Well, we shall cross that bridge when we get to it.

    Feeling so much joy for your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....I'm sitting here reading your testimony and crying tears of joy for ALL of you.
    I have always tried to be mindful and to think about how difficult the past year has been for you in preparing meals and feeding Ben ....as I would be preparing meals for my family. I don't ever want to take ANYTHING for granted.......

    God is SO faithful and SO true. I'm so grateful for all He has done for you.
    I Love you my friend,
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete